Friday, January 23, 2009

This Tastes Just Like Coffee

What happens when you "go raw"? Below are some great answers to that question. I apologize in advance to whoever wrote these. I don't have the author, but I'm sure it was their intention to share. Because it's nice to share.
1. You Wake UP!
2. You become more sensitive (things feel much better or worse depending on what they are)
3. You get to hear your own voice more clearly
4. You start to be kinder to yourself and the world around you
5. You start to believe in a more "magical" way of living and being (because you can feel it running through your veins)
6. You feel more pain when things aren't a good fit for you (and don't use food to block that fact out)
7. You have more energy to take action
8. You are generally more positive and upbeat; you begin to believe (and witness) that anything is possible
9. You start to meet others like you and learn through what they have to say and what they have done that there is another way
10. You begin to feel brave enough and vital enough to take the action required to make some big changes, if required, in order to be true to you
Ok, you are asking yourself, what does this have to do with coffee? Because this next raw green smoothie recipe tastes just like coffee!!!! I discovered this by accident. Most of my raw treats are by accident or found by adding or subtracting something from a recipe. You just have to let go of that fear of being wrong or not being worthy of feeling good. So, here's that recipe:
Uncoffee Smoothie
Handful of collard greens
Handful of spinach
One frozen banana
1 1/2 cup water
One shot of flax oil
3 frozen strawberries
Throw it all in your Vitamix or BlendTec and enjoy
Here's another one that tastes like those Orange frozen drinks you find at fairs.
Raw Orange Smoothie
1 1/2 cup almond milk....here's what I do for this. Take about a cup of raw almonds and about 1and 1/2 cups of water and put in your blender. Blend until it breaks down the almonds(it will become white, like milk). Drain the milk through your mesh bag. Save the nut pulp for a great substitute for morning cereal, and put the nut milk back in the blender.
The juice of two oranges (or if you are using a Vitamix or BlendTec....THE WHOLE ORANGE)
1/2 cup frozen pineapple
That's it. How simple, right? All for you to get started on a living food journey that's all your own. It's really about your journey. What's your journey look like? I am not, by any means, 100% raw. There are days when all I do eat is raw. I always manage to get in some sort of smoothie in the morning. If there's enough, I'll drink through the day. That fills me up. Then I have something cooked for dinner. It's a small portion of cooked food. The more cooked I eat, the worse I feel. That's where I am at this moment. I'm working on number 6 from the list above right now. We're really not that different. Me and you. The journey up the mountain is different for everyone. The view from the top is the same! I take a lot of small steps. Sometimes I'm pushed to make a large step forward, but that's only with a lot of prior warning.
To end my entry today, here's that recipe I promised for Halva:
1 1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup raw tahini (I just grind sesame seeds)
3 Tablespoons honey
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon carob powder
Place almonds in your food processor until ground. Add tahini, honey and vanilla and process thoroughly. Put 1/2 of the mixture in a bowl and set aside. Add carob to remainder and process. From here, either roll both parts together into a ball, form to a pie plate or eat right out of the food processor. Now that's what I love about my raw food!
Be happy and healthy.
Donna Bergonzi-Boyle

No comments:

Post a Comment