Friday, January 23, 2009

Every Day Is A New Day

It's that time of year again when everyone talks about resolutions. I was never a believer in these. Every night I make a resolution for the next day. Every morning I reaffirm that intention. The power of intention. If you think it, if you believe it....it will become reality.
Here are some ideas for you this morning(or afternoon or evening), it's never too late to set an intention. Before you start your exercise routine for the day, whether you take the stairs instead of the elevator or you work out at a gym, set an intention. What do you want to get out of your routine? How will you feel if you get what you want? Think about this for a minute. Let's say your intention is to get up each morning and stretch for at least 10 minutes tomorrow. If you do this, how will you feel after? That is your intention. Before I begin my yoga class, I set an intention. How do I want to be with myself during this class? How do I want to feel at the end of this class? How do I want to receive the rest of the day?
There is one big problem with setting resolutions as I see it. The guilt if I don't achieve what I set out to do. Guilt is not a healthy thing. I'm pretty sure all of you know this. "Guilt may reduce the ability of the immune system to fight off illness." Internal and external forces will cause "dis-ease" in the body. If I think negatively about my food intake, about my exercise or lack of exercise, it will affect my physical body. I find I can judge myself before I even eat something. I guess that's good....in a way. Now I can use that inner voice of judgment and turn it around.
Before starting to write this blog, I wanted something else to eat. I knew I wasn't hungry, I knew my body didn't want anything else, but still my mind was running away with this idea that I needed food, any food. I talked to myself. Asked myself questions about what I would feel like if I did eat something? I knew it wouldn't feel good. My stomach would hurt, either now or during the night. The intention I set this morning was to feel good all day and night. That intention made it much easier to listen to my body tonight, instead of my head. And yes, I'm still talking to myself tonight. There's a lot going on in my head tonight. I'm trying not to judge myself. Tonight I will set another intention for tomorrow. It may be the same as today, to just feel good. Yes, I could fail at this tonight, but tomorrow is a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment