Friday, January 23, 2009

I Grow Grass and Sprouts!

What? You grow grass? Isn’t that illegal? Common words I hear when I tell people that I’ve been growing grass for the last 15 years. They start to walk away from me when I tell them my Dad turned me on to it!
I first saw that beautiful grass at The Optimum Health Institute in CA. My parents were working there and my brother Michael had just started there too. He designed and built the greenhouse along with my Dad, and also built up his reputation as being one of the master wheatgrass growers in the country. A greenhouse filled with grass and sprouts is a site to behold. The energy, the oxygen, the green! Just breathe and be healed! Why do we hold our breath? I have been a practitioner of yoga for over 15 years and I know why. Breathing takes you into the present moment. You cannot be in the present moment without the willingness to feel hurt. That is a tough statement to comprehend, let alone “feel”. But I’ll go into that in another excerpt. Let’s get back to growing grass….
I watched and listened to my Dad and brother. “When is my turn”? I continued to ask myself that. I knew I would get there someday. With their advice I was able to grow grass in my small apartment some 15 years ago. Then there was a time I just didn’t have it in me to grow but wanted to drink wheatgrass juice, so I ordered it online. I never knew when they harvested it. It just didn’t taste like what I was used to. I would occasionally be at a juice café and order a shot. And again, I’d say, “Is this what these people think wheatgrass juice is supposed to taste like”? Ok, that’s enough of this…..it’s time to start another business. My reasons? I wanted fresh cut, organic wheatgrass juice every day and I figured if I did, then someone else out there does too. It’s easy enough. I have my Dad and my brother, right? And Michael even has a DVD with all the directions for growing wheatgrass and sprouts! I can do this!
For a year I grew wheatgrass and sprouts and delivered an exceptional product to as many customers as I could. Now I grow on my kitchen counter. I grow on my dining room table. I grow and sprout wherever I can, as much as I can. Sprouting seed and growing wheatgrass may take some time to figure out. Your environment has a lot to do with all the problems you may encounter. I’ve learned that airflow is the biggest issue surrounding the mold problem. Living in the northeast is challenging to say the least. I now grow pea shoots in my sprouter. No soil! I know, that’s crazy. Don’t tell my brother.
I can’t live without my sprouter, sprout bag, my colander, my green bags(to keep all my produce fresh longer), and some great trays for growing my sprouts and wheatgrass. I keep a kitchen stocked with seed and a library stocked with books about sprouts and live food. Because of the size of my kitchen and winter being upon us, I grow one thing at a time. But there is no reason, with all the new sprouters and tray holders out there, that you can’t grow more than one sprout. The hardest part is just getting started. Sprout one thing at a time at first. Get really good at it and then start something else. The theory behind sprouting and growing is basically the same with a lot of seed and bean. The principals are the same too. Keep good air circulation, don’t let the seed dry out, and keep it out of too much direct sunlight (sounds like the directions on how to keep a gremlin)! Wheatgrass is baby grass. It needs to be nurtured. And for goodness sake, keep your grass away from the pets! You’ll have to grow a separate tray for them. My cat loves to chew it right out of the tray. I also juice it for him and give it to him in a dropper. He loves it! I’ve seen a dog totally tear a tray of wheatgrass apart, like it was catnip. What a treat for them! And during the long winter months, when dogs can’t get outside to chew grass, this is the perfect substitute for them. Wheatgrass juice, it’s not just for humans! Keep on growing, folks! Check out my friend's site for juicers and all you need!
www.877myjuicer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment